Job Title/Position: Clinical Supervisor
Reports To: Clinical Director
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Clinical Supervisor is responsible for ensuring that patient care is coordinated and managed
appropriately. The Clinical Supervisor is responsible for ensuring that care and services are
delivered appropriately and for the supervision of clinical personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Receives case referrals. Reviews available patient information related to case, including
home visits, to determine hospice/home care needs. Assigns appropriate hospice personnel
to case as needed. Conferences with MEDICAL DIRECTOR regarding any questions about
an individual's eligibility for services.
2. Reviews and evaluates each case through a variety of means such as home visits, conferences, record review and the services provided by clinicians; discusses and verifies
impressions, instructs and guides clinicians to promote more effective performance and
delivery of quality home care services; and is available at all times during operating hours to
assist clinicians as appropriate.
3. Reviews patient's medical diagnosis, prognosis, medications, procedures and clinical course.
4. Assists clinicians in establishing immediate and long-term therapeutic goals, in setting
priorities, and in developing plan of care.
5. Attends case conference meetings with hospice personnel to facilitate coordination of care
and discussion of interdisciplinary group involvement.
6. Conducts quarterly record reviews and communicates findings and recommendations to
Clinical Director and hospice personnel.
7. Assists in the screening and interviewing process of new employees and makes
recommendations for employment of individuals. Assists in the orientation of new
8. Assists Clinical Director and other supervisory hospice personnel in the planning,
implementation and evaluation of inservice and continuing education programs. Assists in
the formulating, revising, implementing, and evaluating organization policies, procedures,
goals and objectives, both short and long range.
9. Complies with accepted professional standards and principles.
10. Assesses health needs of community and assists in the development of plan(s)/ program(s) to
meet needs. Participates in public relation and community activities that promote the
organization's role as an effective member of the hospice and health care delivery system.
Promotes customer service orientation to all hospice personnel.
11. Participates actively in quality assessment performance improvement teams and activities.
12. Performs other duties and activities as delegated by the Clinical Director.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and
responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to
perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
1. Registered nurse with current licensure to practice professional nursing in the state.
2. Graduate of NLN accredited school of nursing with a BSN degree is preferred.
3. Previous experience in hospice/home care setting and with two (2) years management or
supervisory experience. Proven ability to work within an interdisciplinary setting.
4. Complies with accepted professional standards and practice.
5. Has excellent observation, good nursing judgment and communication skills. Understands
hospice philosophy and issues of death/dying.
6. Understands principles of pain/symptom management.
7. Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state and/or
organization requirements and is in good working order.
8. Complies and maintains current CPR certification.
9. Demonstrates excellent observation, verbal and written communication skills.