Los Robles Healthcare a Top Places to Work winner in 2021 is looking for an experienced Director of Patient Care Services.
Job Title/Position: Clinical Director/Director of Patient Care Services
Reports To: Executive Director/Administrator
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Clinical Director/Director of Patient Care Services is responsible for the overall direction of
hospice clinical services. The Clinical Director/Director of Patient Care Services establishes,
implements and evaluates goals and objectives for hospice services that meet and promote the
standards of quality and contribute to the total organization and philosophy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinates and oversees all direct and indirect patient services provided by clinical
2. Provides guidance and counseling to coordinators and Clinical Supervisors to assist them
in continually improving all aspects of hospice care services, provided through organization
3. Assists Clinical Supervisors in managing clinical teams and planning.
4. Provides help in assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient and
family/caregiver care to all clinical personnel as indicated.
5. Assists the Executive Director/Administrator in the preparation and administration of the
6. Interprets operational indicators to detect census changes and increases or decreases in
volume that could impact staffing levels, revenues or expenses.
7. Evaluates performance of Clinical Supervisors.
8. Assists Clinical Supervisors to develop skills and techniques in evaluating the performance
9. Hires, evaluates, and terminates organization personnel.
10. Conducts annual evaluations on clinicians, or more frequently if indicated.
11. Oversees the maintenance of patient clinical records, statistics, reports and records for
purposes of evaluation and reporting of organization activities.
12. Assures proper maintenance of clinical records in compliance with local, state and federal
13. Responsible for the maintenance of adequate and appropriate inventory supplies and
equipment for the provision of patient services.
14. Develops, implements and evaluates the orientation program for new organization
personnel. Responsible for orientation of new organization personnel, directly or delegated.
15. Plans and implements inservice and continuing education programs to meet education and
training needs of organization personnel at least quarterly.
16. Assists with the evaluation of organization performance via performance improvement
program, productivity, quarterly and annual reviews. Assures for the quality and safe
delivery of hospice services provided through the Organization.
17. Assists in the development of organization goals. Develops, recommends, and administers
Organization policies and procedures.
18. Assures compliance with all local, state and federal laws regarding licensure and
certification of organization personnel and, maintains compliance to the CHAP Home Care
19. Stays informed about changes in the field of nursing and hospice care; shares information
with appropriate organization personnel.
20. Promotes hospice referrals in the health care community.
21. In the absence of the Executive Director/Administrator, the Clinical Director/Director of
Patient Care Services will become the acting Executive Director/Administrator and will be
vested with authority to act in behalf of the Executive Director/Administrator.
22. In the temporary absence (in excess of twenty  consecutive working days) of the Clinical
Director/Director of Patient Care Services, a Registered Nurse shall be designated in writing
as responsible for fulfilling the duties of Clinical Director/Director of Patient Care Services.
23. Any vacancy in the Clinical Director/Director of Patient Care Services position shall be filled
within sixty (60) days of the vacancy and the Department notified of the replacement.
24. Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director/Administrator.
25. The Director of Patient Care Services or his/her designee shall be available on the
premises or accessible by telecommunication during operating hours.
26. The Director of Patient Care Services shall devote a sufficient number of hours to assure
quality and adequacy of services provided and supervision of staff.
27. Any vacancy in the DPCS portion shall be filled within 60 days of vacancy and the
Department notified of the replacement.
1. Registered nurse in the State with current licensure to practice professional nursing in the
2. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited program by the National League for
Nursing. Master’s degree in hospice preferred.
Los Robles Healthcare
3. Three years of management experience within the last five (5) years in a hospice or related
health care organization, at least one (1) year of which was in a supervisory or
administrative capacity, OR
4. A Registered Nurse with four (4) years’ experience within the last five (5) years in a
hospice, home health agency, primary care clinical or health facility, at least one (1) year of
which was in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
5. Demonstrated ability to supervise and direct professional and administrative personnel.
6. Ability to market and deal tactfully with customers and the community.
7. Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state and/or
Organization requirements and is in good working order.
8. Has excellent observation, verbal and written communication skills.
9. Knowledge of business management, governmental regulations and CHAP standards.